Searchable name index

These are the names of map entries in Music Businesses in North-West London, an interactive map. This requires Javascript to display.

You are here either because your browser does not have Javascript enabled, or from a search engine search. If Javascript is enabled, clicking on a name shown in bold will take you to the map entry.

303 or Fab Music 2 303 West End Lane NW6 1RD
The 303 record shop was here in 1988. At one time it was called Fab Music 2.

32 Club 120 High Street Harlesden NW10 4SP (redeveloped)
Originally this was the Harlesden Cinema which opened in 1911. From 1935 to 1957 it was called the Picardy Cinema. It became an Irish dance hall and later the Top 32 and Angie’s Night Club. Some of the people who played here include: Tom Jones (25 June 1965), The Kinks (22 Oct 1965) and Chubby Checker (26 Sept 1965). It was demolished in 2003.

Ace Records, and Sound Mastering Studio 46-50 Steele Road NW10 7AS
In 1984 Ace Records moved here from various sites in Camden. Tom Carroll, the manager of Thin Lizzy, had set up ‘Rock On’, a record stall at 93 Golborne Road in 1971. He expanded this with Roger Armstrong and started Ace Records, which covered a wide range of music from rock, blues, punk, cajun etc. Ace are still here today with the Sound Mastering recording studio.

Albert Smith, pianoforte dealer 195 Kilburn High Road NW6 7HY (redeveloped as the Gaumont State)
Albert Smith had a shop here from 1896 to 1928. In the 1920s he advertised: The only house of 10,000 records. Over 100 gramophones and musical instruments. The latest popular music always. If Albert Smith has not got it, probably no one has.

All Clear 270 Belsize Road NW6 4BT
This was a small shop which sold gramophones and records just before WWII. But the shop does not seem to have been there very long, and the company was dissolved in April 1939.

Allied Records 127 Kensal Road W10 5GW
Established about 1955 by Marcel Rodd. He lived at 15b Maresfield Gardens and there was a studio in his basement. In 1960 Rodd acquired Saga Records, who are also shown at this address in the 1963 phone book. By 1965 Allied and Saga had moved to 326 Kensal Road.

Arcade Records 36-38 Willesden Lane, NW6 7ST
Founded in 1972 by Laurence Myers, a record producer who worked with the Animals, David Bowie and the Rolling Stones. Arcade produced compilation records by a collection of artists. The first release was ‘20 Fantastic Hits’ which was a number 1 record in the summer of 1972.

Assault and Battery Studios 1 Maybury Gardens NW10 2NB
Now in the old Battery complex of studios, this is a joint venture between Miloco and leading producers Flood and Alan Moulder who opened the studio in August 2008.

Augustus Mickish, gramophone dealer 235 Willesden High Road NW10 2RY
Shown here in 1926 and 1929.

B&M Records 177 Willesden High Road NW10 2SD
Shown here in 1962.

Bartlett & Jenkins, gramophone case makers 1a 2a & 5a Peebles Mews, Palmerston Road NW6 (redeveloped as part of the Webheath estate)
Shown here in 1929.

Bassline Records 333 Kilburn High Road NW6 7QB
A dance music specialist shop was here from at least 1995.

Beacon Records 331-333 Willesden High Road NW10
Began by Milton Samuel in 1968 with soul and pop records. The company’s big hit was the Philadelphia-based Showstopper’s ‘Ain’t Nothin’ But a Houseparty’ which Beacon had leased for just £30. Beacon had moved to Charles Street in London W1 by 1969, and they were wound up in 1973.

Benstead & Sons, music warehouse 27 Harlesden High Street NW10 4NE
Shown here in 1912 and 1926. Bensteads in 1929.

Bensted’s (RE Barber), music warehouse 22 Park Parade Harlesden NW10 4JG
Shown here in 1955

Bernard Hale 151 Kilburn High Road NW6 7HT (redeveloped)
Bernard Hale is first listed here as a gramophone dealer in 1924. He went bankrupt in 1942.

Blanks Music Stores 271-273 Kilburn High Road NW6 7JQ (redeveloped)
Bernard Blank (born in Poland as Berish Blankleder), first had a shop at 281 Kilburn High Road by 1938. By 1978 he had two shops at Number 281 and Nos.271-273: this was the main shop which sold musical instruments until it closed about 2012. Over the years many budding rock stars bought their first guitar or set of drums at this well-known Kilburn landmark.

Boyd Ltd, piano and organ makers 183 Kilburn High Road NW6 7HY
They had several branches across London. The Kilburn branch was here from 1890 to 1933.

British Homophone, later The Banba 84a Kilburn High Road NW6 6PR (redeveloped)
This building was behind the present Sainsbury’s in Kilburn High Road. ‘Professor’ Sidney Bishop ran ‘The Athenaeum’ for dancing here from 1902 to 1914. In May 1928 it was bought by Gramophone Records Ltd who set up a studio. They were taken over by the British Homophone Company in October 1928 who used the studio. They produced Sterno records (named after the company director William Sternberg). Many well-known performers and dance bands were on the label including Mantovani and the pianist and band leader Charlie Kunz who sold an astonishing one million records. But like other companies in the Depression, British Homophone struggled financially and in May 1937 Decca and their rival EMI, jointly purchased all the British Homophone masters. When British Homophone left Kilburn in 1939, the ladies clothing chain, Richard Shops, who had been at Number 82 since 1936, took over Number 84.

Bus Stop Records 245 Willesden High Road NW10 2RY
A music label formed in 1972 by songwriters Mitch Murray and Peter Callender. They had hits with the band Paper Lace. The label ended about 1977.

City Music Stores Ltd 9 Station Buildings Walm Lane NW10
Shown here in 1929.

Clarence Charteris & Co, piano dealers 32 Willesden High Road NW10 2QD
Shown here in 1914.

Coliseum Cinema 25-26 Manor Park Road, London, NW10 4JJ
The cinema opened in 1912. In December 1975 it stopped showing regular films, and screened porn films and Kung-fu movies. In the punk era it became a music venue and the Buzzcocks and The Clash played here in March 1977. It was closed in the mid-1980’s. It was renovated in 1993 and today it is pub.

Conrad Wilson, pianoforte dealer 40 Manor Park Road, Harlesden NW10 4JJ
Shown here in 1914.

Craven Park Music Store 79 Craven Park Road NW10 8SN
Shown here in 1962.

Creole Records, Dynamic Sounds, Polo Records 91-93 Harlesden High Street NW10 4NX
Jamaican records were released from about 1975 under different company names, later taken over by Sanctuary Records Ltd.

David Cliff, record dealer 13 New College Parade, Finchley Road NW3 5EP
Shown here in 1959 but gone by 1962.

Decca Studios, Crystalate and Threshold Studios 165 Broadhurst Gardens NW6 3AU
Crystalate Gramophone Records took over the West Hampstead Town Hall (a private hall, not a civic building), in Broadhurst Gardens in 1928 and moved their recording studio there. The company made records for some of the very early labels such as Zonophone, Berliner and Imperial. Crystalate also produced large numbers of records for Woolworths. Their records had many popular artists of the day such as Gracie Fields, Larry Adler, Billy Cotton and Sandy Powell. Also on the label were American stars: Bing Crosby, the Mills Brothers, the Boswell Sisters, and Cab Calloway.

In March 1937 the record side of Crystalate was sold to Decca for £200,000, or about £10 million today. Decca closed their existing studio in Upper Thames Street and moved to Broadhurst Gardens. The Decca studios were here from 1937 to 1981. Stars such as The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Marc Bolan, Billy Fury, Tom Jones, Lulu, and thousands more were recorded here. The Moody Blues recorded their hits here, and in 1974 took over the large Studio One as their own Threshold Records, remaining until the building was taken over by the ENO. Today the building is the English National Opera’s Lilian Baylis House.

Dick & Shuttleworth, gramophone dealer 194 Cambridge Road NW6 (redeveloped)
Shown here in 1921 and Stanley Shuttleworth from 1926 to 1929.

Eavestaff & Sons, pianoforte manufactures 78 Salusbury Road NW6 6PA
A firm of London piano makers active from about 1838. This branch was here in 1921.

Edison’s National Phonograph Company Works Chandos Road, off Victoria Road Willesden Junction/North Acton NW10 (redeveloped)
In 1907 the National Phonograph Co. moved from Clerkenwell Road to Willesden and production began in April 1908. They were here until at least 1914, as the Edison Works.

El Toro 251 Finchley Road NW3 6LU (redeveloped as the O2 centre)
A dance club from about 1957 to 1966. The Low Profile was here in 1983.

Ethnic Records 249 Kilburn High Road NW6 7JN
Record producer, Clifton ‘Larry’ Lawrence, opened his first shop in 1973 in Kensal Green selling reggae records on his own Ethnic label. He moved to Kilburn High Road from 1974 to 1976, before going to Coldharbour Lane Brixton (1976 to 1983). While in Kilburn he released his album, ‘Out of One Man Many Dubs’ which included a track called ‘Kilburn High Rock Dub’. Larry was born in Jamaica and recorded there before coming to the UK in 1966. He worked as a lorry driver and produced records for Trojan. He also acted as an unofficial road manager for touring Jamaican performers, including Bob Marley and the Wailers. This led him to become the in-house producer for Creole Records. Larry died in 2008.

Folkies Music Shop 358 Kilburn High Road NW6 2QH
John Leslie set up this shop in 1977. He is a well-known accordion player who has appeared on TV programmes such as, ‘Educating Archie,’ and worked with Max Bygraves and Tommy Cooper. He has played on backing tracks for films such as ‘Indiana Jones’. John teaches and runs London Accordions. The Kilburn music shop, which is still there, sells a range of musical instruments and has a rehearsal space in the basement.

Foxley’s Records Exeter Parade, Exeter Road NW2 3UH
This shop next to Kilburn Underground Station, was run by Ray ‘Professor’ Foxley, a very talented New Orleans style pianist who played with Ken Colyer and Chris Barber. Paul Vernon, a rare record dealer and blues expert, who had lived in Cricklewood and Maygrove Road, said that in the 1950s it was very hard to get R&B records. Ray Foxley privately pressed 25 copies of Amos Milburn’s wonderful ‘Chicken Shack Boogie’. It sold out in a morning so Ray asked a friend who worked on transatlantic ships to buy him more R&B records in New York. People came from all over the country to meet, talk and buy the records at Foxley’s. The shop was there from 1955 to at least 1974.

Frankland King & Co, pianoforte maker 10 Swiss Terrace, NW6 4RR
Shown in 1915.

Frank Phelps, piano maker 147 Willesden High Road NW10 2SJ
Shown here in 1929.

Gaumont State 197-199 Kilburn High Road NW6 7YH
When the State was opened in December 1937 it was the largest cinema in Europe with 4,004 seats. From the beginning it was also used as a music venue. Some of the many people who played here include; Paul Robeson (1937), Django Rheinhart, the gypsy jazz guitarist, with violinist Stephane Grappelli and the Hot Club of Paris, (July 1938 and August 1940), Frank Sinatra (21 June 1953), Bill Haley and the Comets (24 Feb 1957). ‘Jazz at the Philharmonic’ had the top American stars, such as Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, and John Coltrane in the late 1950s and 1960s. Buddy Holly and the Crickets performed to a sell-out audience on 2 March 1958. Jerry Lee Lewis was booed off stage on 25 May 1958 when newspapers said that he had married his 13-year old cousin Myra Gale.

Most of the top British bands played at The State: Cliff Richard and The Shadows (16-21 Nov 1959). The Beatles (9 April 1963 and 23 October 1964). The Rolling Stones (19 November 1963), and David Bowie (13 June 1973). The Who, filmed as part of ‘The Who in Kilburn’(15 Dec 1977). Some of the video for Ultravox’s ‘Vienna’ (1981) was filmed inside the State. For many years the building was used for Gala bingo, until it was sold in December 2007 to the religious group Ruach Ministries.

George Mellish, music dealer 69 Craven Park Road NW10 8SR
Shown here in 1921 and 1929.

George Rogers and Son, pianoforte dealers 281 Finchley Road NW3 6ND
Shown here in 1915.

George Tibbey and Co, gramophone dealers 212 and 248 Willesden High Road NW10 2NX
Shown here in 1914.

Getgood and Co, pianoforte dealer 37 Chamberlayne Road, Kensal Green NW10 3NB
Shown here in 1914. In 1921 the owner was Bertram Ison, and by 1926 Robert Jones.

Gramophone Components Ltd 9 Cumberland Park, Scrubs Lane NW10 (redeveloped)
Shown here in 1921.

Harry Knapton, pianoforte manufacturer 94 Chaplin Road, Willesden Green NW2 5PR
Shown here in 1914. Knapton & Co Ltd by 1929.

Hawkeye Record Store 2 Craven Park Road NW10 4AB
Still open today.

Helga’s Record Shop 235 West End Lane NW6 1XN (redeveloped)
Today this is the Banana Tree restaurant. The site was redeveloped in the early 1970s, but until then the tiny corner premise was Helga’s Record Shop. It opened in 1958 and Helga Wenk sat behind the narrow counter with just a few cramped racks of records.

Henry James Tilling, music dealer 8 Kings Parade, Okehampton Road Kensal Rise NW10 3ED
Shown here in 1914.

Island Records and the B&C Group Music House 12 Neasden Lane NW10 2XH
When the council told Lee Gopthal that 108 Cambridge Road was going to be redeveloped, Island Records and the B&C (Beat and Commercial) Group run by Gopthal, moved here in 1968. B&C include Trojan Records.

Island Records, and Trojan 108 Cambridge Road NW6 5AG (redeveloped)
Island Records was formed by Chris Blackwell who was born in London, but grew up in Jamaica. In 1962 he moved back to London and began selling records to the West Indian communities in London, Birmingham, and Manchester from the back of his Mini-Cooper. From March 1963 to 1967 Island Records had their office at 108 Cambridge Road, since demolished as part of the South Kilburn redevelopment plan. Originally a barber’s shop run by the Gopthal family, when accountant Lee Gopthal bought the house, he rented it out and Chris Blackwell converted the premises into offices. In 1962, the basement had been a recording studio set up by Sonny Roberts of Planetone Records. Blackwell introduced additional labels such as Black Swan, Jump Up, Aladdin, Surprise, Sue Records and Trojan which was run by Lee Gopthal.

In 1964 Island had a big hit with Millie Small’s ‘My Boy Lollipop’ which sold six million copies worldwide. Other successful records followed with artists such as Jimmy Cliff, and the Spencer Davis Group. Building on these hits, Island moved to new offices at 155 Oxford Street. In 1970 they moved again to Notting Hill where they had established a studio in a former church at 8-10 Basing Street. From here they expanded massively, with artists such as Bob Marley, Cat Stevens, Fairport Convention, Free, Traffic, Jethro Tull, Grace Jones and U2.

Ivan Berg Associates (IBA) Studio 5 Rosemont Road NW3 6NG
Shown here in 1974 and 1977. They published audio tapes, such as the true crime stories by Edgar Lustgarten and Dickens on Tape etc. By 1981 IBA had moved to 35 Broadhurst Gardens.

Jackman & Co gramophone salon 154 Church Road Willesden NW10 9NH
Shown here 1926 and 1929.

J&F Stone Ltd, lighting and radio 40 Kilburn High Road NW6 5UA
Shown here in 1940 and 1959.

Joe Palmer’s Record Shop 250 West End Lane NW6 1LG
Today this is Roni’s Bagels. In the 1970s Joe Palmer, a professional musician, ran a small record shop here. He also ran Peelers, a folk group and their 1972 album ‘Banish Misfortune’ used old acoustic instruments such as the dulcimer, banjo, tin whistle, guitar and concertina.

John Gee, gramophone dealer 37a Kilburn High Road NW6 6PP
Shown here from 1934 to 1935.

John Hopkinson pianoforte warehouse, Carl Constance, and Mackenzie and Co 241 Kilburn High Road NW6 7JN
John Hopkinson, with several shops in the West End, was here from 1900 to 1908. Carl Constance was here briefly in 1915 and by the following year it was Mackenzie and Co, who were also house agents. By 1929 it was St Paul’s Piano Factors Ltd.

John P Dobbin, gramophone dealer 238 West End Lane NW6 1LG
Shown here from 1920 to 1933.

Joseph Martin Taylor, cycle & gramophone dealer 88 Cambridge Road NW6 (redeveloped)
Shown here in 1921.

JR Eastman, piano manufacturers 87 & 91 Willesden Lane NW6 7SD (redeveloped)
Shown here in 1929.

Just Discs 1a Cambridge Avenue NW6 5AA
A small shop on the corner with Kilburn High Road, which closed in 2012.

Keith Prowse and Co Ltd, pianoforte dealers 167 Finchley Road NW3 6LB
Prowse had many branches across London. Shown here in 1915.

Kilburn National Ballroom 234 Kilburn High Road NW6 7JG
Originally opened as the Grange Cinema in July 1914 and closed in 1975. It became Butty’s Club from Feb 1976 which featured Irish show bands. Butty’s ran to at least 1980, so overlapping with the National. The Kilburn National ran from 15 Dec 1976 until 1999. Many well-known bands played there including; Dexys Midnight Runners (7 Aug 1980), New Order (25 May 1982), Big Audio Dynamite (8 May 1986), The Smiths, who Recorded ‘Rank’ a live album on 23 Oct 1986, David Bowie with Tin Machine (29 June 1989), Johnny Cash (24 Oct 1990 and 26 April 1997), Blur (24 Oct 1991), Kurt Cobain and Nirvana (5 Dec 1991 and 12 May 1992), Manic Street Preachers (11 Dec 1992), Suede (11 Oct 1996), many more. Ian Softly used the National for his film about the Beatles called ‘Backbeat’ (1994), where the club was used to show the Beatles in the Star Club in Hamburg.

Kilburn Record Centre, later Harlequin 163 Kilburn High Road NW6 7UH
This small shop had opened by 1961, but was gone by 1968. It was taken over by the Harlequin Records. The chain of over 70 stores became part of Our Price Records, started by Gary Nesbitt in a shop called ‘Tape Revolution’ in Swiss Cottage in 1971. Our Price did not keep the Kilburn shop, and it was closed in the early 1970s.

Klooks Kleek, the Moonlight and Starlight The Railway Hotel, 100 West End Lane NW6 2LU
Dick Jordan and Geoff Williams ran the Klooks Kleek from 1961. Hundreds of jazz and blues bands played at Klooks Kleek which was on the first floor of The Railway pub. These included; Eric Clapton with John Mayall, Cream, Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, Georgie Fame, and The Moody Blues. Visiting American musicians included; Stevie Wonder, Ben E. King, John Lee Hooker, Ben Webster, and Roland Kirk. Jimi Hendrix turned up with his manager Chas Chandler on 17 October 1967 and sat in with John Mayall’s band. When Klooks closed in January 1970, there was a gap of several years before live music was played again at The Railway.

In October 1989, Dave Kitson opened The Moonlight Club. The bands who played here included; Adam and the Ants, Squeeze, The Cure, The Damned, The Specials, Madness, The Pretenders, Nick Cave and The Birthday Party, Joy Division, The Jam, and The Stone Roses. On 1 December 1979 U2 played their first gig outside Ireland; they played four times at The Moonlight in 1979 and 1980. The Starlight Club was run by the pub’s manager on the first floor in the 1980s. Less well-known punk bands played here. Both the Moonlight and the Starlight had closed by October 1993.

La Cage D’or 137 Finchley Road NW3 6JG
A dance club was here in 1959.

La Côte d’Azur 263b Finchley Road NW3 5HP (redeveloped as the O2 centre)
A dance club in 1964.

Lafoys music stores 36 Harlesden Road NW10 2BX
Shown here in 1929.

Lightning Records 841 Harrow Road NW10 5NN
In the 1970s Ray Laren began distributing other companies’ records, and then set up the Old Gold label and later Lightning.

Lionel Prescott-Myatt, music and instrument dealer 186 West End Lane NW6 1SF
Shown here in 1934. He lived at 28 Sarre Road and formed a stringed instrument club in West Hampstead in 1935.

Lowe & Brydone Ltd, music printers Victoria Road Harlesden NW10 (redeveloped)
Shown here in 1921.

M&M Records 96 Craven Park Road NW10 4AG
Records on the M&M label were produced here from about 1977.

McGregor and McDonald, musical instrument makers 1 Lonsdale Road NW6 6RA
Shown here in 1962.

Manzi’s Records 7 New College Parade, Finchley Road NW3 5EP
Shown here in 1974.

Master Rock Studios 248 Kilburn High Road NW6 2BS (redeveloped)
In January 1986 Steve Flood and Stuart Colman opened their studios in Kilburn High Road. They wanted the very best quality recording equipment so they bought a Focusrite console, developed by Rupert Neve in 1988. But the prohibitively expensive design limited the production to just two units, after which Focusrite got into financial difficulties. One console was delivered to Master Rock Studios in Kilburn and the other to the Electric Lady Studio in New York. An amazing number of musicians were recorded in the Kilburn studio including: Elton John, Jeff Beck, U2, Eric Clapton, Roxy Music, Simply Red and Suede. Despite the Master Rock Studios being busy, there were financial problems and eventually they closed in June 2000. Number 248 Kilburn High Road has since been demolished.

Mean Fiddler 24 High Street Harlesden, London, NW10 4LX
This was originally a cinema called the Harlesden Palace until the 1920s. In 1963 it became a drinking club owned by the boxer Terry Downs. Vince Power bought the property for £125,000 in 1981 and opened it as the Mean Fiddler on 9 December 1982. Originally he wanted it to be a country and Irish music venue, but then he expanded and booked bands such as Los Lobos (11 May 1985), Erasure (17 Jan 1986), Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds (14 Oct 1986), Johnny Cash (1986), Van Morrison (9 Dec 1986), Roy Orbison (10 Nov 1987), Red Hot Chili Peppers (31 Jan 1988), Rory Gallagher (10 April 1989), Paul McCartney (10 May 1991), The Pogues (6 Nov 1992). It closed in 2002.

Melody Room 41 Willesden Lane NW6 7RF
A small record shop was here in 1974.

Miss A. Mountain, gramophone dealer 48 Craven Park Road NW10 4AE
Shown here in 1926 and 1929.

MoJo Records 94 Craven Park Road NW10 4AG
Main outlet for MoJo was here about 1978/80.

Morgan Studios, Battery Studios, The Power Plant 169-171 Willesden High Road NW10 2SD
Morgan Studio opened in late 1967. It was named after Barry Morgan (the drummer in Blue Mink) and owned by him and his partners, Monty Babson, Jerry Allen and Leon Calvert. They had lots of work and in 1974 expanded to four studios using some nearby buildings. In 1980 studios 3 and 4 were sold to the Zomba group and renamed Battery Studios. Then in 1984 studios 1 and 2 were sold to Robin Millar and renamed the Power Plant. A long list of artists have recorded at Morgan including; Blind Faith, Blue Mink, Cat Stevens, Cliff Richard, Donovan, Rod Stewart, the Kinks, and Led Zeppelin, and many others.

Musicland, Muzik City 42 Willesden Lane NW6 7ST
In 1967 Musicland, the first of the chain was at this address. Lee Gopthal who ran Trojan Records and Musicland, often served customers here. In 1971 it became one of the 10 shops of the sister chain Muzik City.

Musicland Records 153 Kilburn High Road NW6 7HT (redeveloped)
The main Musicland shop was at 44 Berwick Street in Soho and people such as Elton John, David Bowie and Marc Bolan went there to find the latest US imports. The Kilburn shop was here from 1969 until 1976. The chain was dissolved on 14 Feb 1977.

Muzik City 30 Station Parade Kensal Rise NW10
Shown here in 1974.

Muzik City 12 Neasden Lane NW10
In 1974 this was the head office of the chain of 10 record shops. The company was wound up on 22 January 1976.

Nathaniel Berry & Sons, piano manufacturers 295 Kilburn High Road
A London-based firm with several shops, shown here in 1929.

Orbitone Records Unit 2 Station Road Harlesden NW10 4XA
In 1958 Sonny Roberts came to London from Jamaica and worked as a carpenter. He made cabinets for sound systems and began playing at parties and weddings. In 1961 he set up a studio in the basement of 108 Cambridge Avenue and this is where the Planetone label began. In 1970 Sonny opened his shop Orbitone Records in Harlesden. Gaining considerable interest from the Black community, the shop received wider publicity from DJ John Peel who was a frequent visitor. Sonny called the shop ‘The Home of Black Music’ which attracted numerous people from the music industry. In the 90s he expanded and opened Spindle Records at 78 Craven Park Road. Sonny retired in 1997 and returned to Jamaica.

Our Price Records 64 Kilburn High Road NW6 4HJ
This branch was opened by February 1986. It was a Virgin Megastore in 2004 when the whole chain was closed.

Pama Records and Jet Star 78 Craven Park Road Harlesden NW10 4AE
A reggae company founded in 1967 by brothers Harry, Jeff and Carl Palmer. By 1978 it became Jet Star Records and later Jet Star Phonographics which lasted to 2008 and was taken over by Phoenix Music.

Pathe Freres Pathephone Gramophone Works Barry Road, Stonebridge Park, NW10 8DL (redeveloped)
Shown here from abt 1920 to 1928. Later taken over by British Homophone.

Phelps & Sons pianoforte manufacturers 404 Willesden High Road NW10 2DS
Shown here in 1914. In 1929 at Nos.404 & 406 Willesden High Road.

Phelps & Sons pianoforte 262 Willesden High Road NW10 2YE
Shown here in 1921. They had several branches and the factory was in Brenthurst Road Willesden.

Phelps Pianos Ltd 13 Craven Park Road NW10 8SE
Shown here in 1962. Phelps Pianos was founded in Kentish Town in 1895.

Phillips Music Shop 70-72 Kilburn High Road NW6 4HS
The first music shop in Kilburn was opened by Alfred Phillips about 1874 as The Musical Box in Bridge Crescent, near Oxford Road, (now demolished). In 1877 he had moved to 43 Kilburn High Road. Business did well and in 1890 Phillips bought Numbers 70-72 Kilburn High Road. He sold sheet music and rented pianos for 10 shillings a month. The shop, run by his sons, continued under the name of Phillips until 1931. Four composer’s heads (Bach, Handel, Mozart and Beethoven), are still visible at first floor level.

Polo Records, Champion Records 181 Harlesden High Street, NW10 4TE
Polo Records were established in December 1979 and Champion Records started in 1982.

Premier Supply Stores, gramophone manufacturers. J. Morris, record dealer 297 Kilburn High Road NW6 (redeveloped)
Premier is shown here in 1929. In 1940 this was Joseph Morris, a radio dealer, and by 1962 he was a record dealer.

Purple Pussycat Club 307 Finchley Road NW3 6EH
This popular club and discothèque was here from at least 1966-1983.

Record Collectors Shop 121 Willesden High Road, NW10 2SL
This shop was here from at least 1952 to 1974.

Record Specialities 298-300 High Road Kilburn NW6 2DB
This record shop advertised their new showrooms in 1955.

Right Recording Ltd 177 Harlesden High Street NW10 4TE
This was here from at least 1995 to 2006.

Ritz Records 1 Grangeway NW6 2BT (redeveloped)
Mick Clerkin ran Ritz Records here which began about 1981. They produced Irish records and had big hits with Joe Dolan and Daniel O’Donnell. Clerkin had previously worked as a roadie for the Mighty Avons Showband, and in 1968 he first set up Release Records. Ritz were still at Grangeway in 1996 but had moved to Wembley by 2000. The company went into liquidation in 2002.

Robert Bate, piano and organ warehouse 110 Willesden High Road NW10 2SJ
Shown here in 1914. Richard Bate shown in 1921, Robert Bate in 1926 and 1929.

Robert James, music stores 37 Church Road Willesden NW10 9PX
Shown in 1929.

Roxy Theatre Craven Park Road Harlesden NW10 8SH
Opened as the Odeon cinema in July 1937 it closed as a regular cinema on 15th April 1972. It re-opened for a short period as an Asian cinema screening Bollywood films and was re-named the Liberty Cinema. Then it became a rock venue called the Roxy Theatre. The Sex Pistols, The Clash and The Damned played on the opening night on 26 Dec 1976, as part of the Anarchy UK tour. Sham 69 performed on 12 May and 3 June 1978. Lastly, it was the Tara nightclub which had closed by 1986 and the building was left empty. It was demolished in September 1989 and the Odeon Court block of flats was there by February 1994.

RW Shutter, gramophone dealer 244 Harlesden High Street NW10 4TD
Shown here in 1921.

Saga Records 326 Kensal Road, W10 5BZ
From 1965 this building was called the Saga Centre and was home to many record labels including; Saga, Trojan, Action, Attach, Mooncrest and others. Part of the site was called The Old Gramophone Works, and it has all been recently redeveloped as offices and residential flats. Marcel Rodd bought Trojan Records in 1975 but it later went through several different owners. The site was converted into a business centre in the 1980s.

Salter Brothers, music dealers 77 Mill Lane NW6 1NB
They sold musical instruments and sheet music here from about 1904 to 1930.

Shaw’s Music Salons Ltd, music and instrument dealer 273 Kilburn High Road NW6 7JQ
Miss Anne Shaw, music dealer, is shown here from 1932 to 1934. The site later becomes part of Blanks.

Shebang Studio Coleridge Gardens NW6 3SG
This was a small studio in Coleridge Gardens, a mews off Fairhazel Gardens, run by Nigel Godrich. Nigel is a recording engineer and producer, best known for his work with the band Radiohead at RAK studios in St John’s Wood. He has also worked with Paul McCartney, Travis, Natalie Imbruglia, U2 and R.E.M.

Shirley’s Record Shop 172 West End Lane NW6 1SD
In November 1962 the singer Shirley Bassey came to West Hampstead and autographed the sleeve of one of her own records. The shop was run by Kenneth Hume and sold books and records. He was a gay film producer, whom Shirley Bassey married in 1961. The couple divorced in 1965, in the wake of the Shirley’s affair with actor Peter Finch. In 1967 Kenneth committed suicide and the shop closed about this time.

Sidney Thomas Winscom, gramophone dealer 78 Chamberlayne Road NW10 3JJ
Shown here in 1921 and 1929.

Sinnetts, gramophone dealers 215 Church Road Willesden NW10 9EP
Shown here 1929 and 1934.

Sky Note Records and Angstar 154 Rucklidge Avenue NW10 4PR
Started in 1977 at 169 Hillside Avenue and then moved to Rucklidge Avenue. It was an important outlet for Jamaican music for 10 years.

Sound Associates Ltd The Coach House 7a Woodchurch Road NW6 3PL
A small recording studio for the cinema industry was here from 1961 to about 1967.

Sounds II 256 Kilburn High Road NW6 2BY
This basement record shop sold CDs and tapes. Sounds I was in the Portobello Road.

Spin It Records 13 Willesden High Road NW10 2TE
In 1967 this was the head office of the Musicland chain. Spin It Records was there from at least 1979 and into the 1990s.

Spratt & Sons, pianoforte dealer 225 West End Lane, re-numbered in 1924 as 227 West End Lane NW6 1XJ
Shown here from 1920 to 1924. It became Julian J. Tresman, music shop, 227 West End Lane NW6 1XJ. Shown here in 1925 to 1929.

Starlight Records 17 Craven Park Road NW10 8SE
Still open today.

St Paul’s Piano Factors Ltd. (works) 48 & 50 Willesden High Road NW10 2QA, and 153 Willesden High Road NW10 2SG
This was set up in the 1920s by Sidney Chidley, the son of the composer and instrument maker, Rock Chidley. Shown here in 1921 and 1929.

St Paul’s Piano Factors Ltd. (works) 48 & 50 Willesden High Road NW10 2QA, and 153 Willesden High Road NW10 2SG
This was set up in the 1920s by Sidney Chidley, the son of the composer and instrument maker, Rock Chidley. Shown here in 1921 and 1929.

TG Page Ltd, pianoforte dealer 74 Chamberlayne Road NW10 3JJ
Shown here in 1921.

The Banba 84a Kilburn High Road NW6 6PR (redeveloped)
The old British Homophone studio building was used from 1951 to 1968 by Michael Gannon who ran the famous and very poplar Irish dance hall there called ‘The Banba’ (taken from a poetic name for Ireland). In 1971 the property was demolished with Sainsbury’s redevelopment of the entire site.

The Fiddler 229 Kilburn High Road NW6 7JG
Formerly the Kingdom bar, Vince Power opened The Fiddler for live music in April 2019.

The Genuine Gramophone Co, salons 13 Harlesden High Street NW10 4NA
Shown here in 1929.

The Good Ship 289 Kilburn High Road NW6 7JR (redeveloped)
This was the Zd Bar for several years. In 2005 John McCooke opened The Good Ship music bar here, which provided music and comedy until it closed in Oct 2017. Among those who have played here are Adele, Kate Nash, Eliza Doolittle and Years &Years. Comedians have included Stewart Lee, Josie Long, Richard Herring, Nick Kumar, Reginald D. Hunter and Romesh Ranganathan.

The Luminaire 311 Kilburn High Road NW6 7JR
John Donnelly and Andy Inglis opened the Luminaire above McGovern’s pub on 1 March 2005. Scritti Politti played here in Feb 2006. The venue, which won several Time Out awards, closed in 2011.

The Moulin Rouge and Les Élite 253 Finchley Road NW3 (redeveloped as the O2 centre)
Moulin Rouge was a dance club from about 1956 to 1964. Les Élite a discothèque nightclub was here in the 1970s and 1980s.

The Music Shop 2 Swiss Terrace, NW6 4RR
Shown here in 1953 and 1962.

The Tape Revolution 219a Finchley Road NW3 6LP
In 1971 Gary Nesbitt and colleagues opened The Tape Revolution next to Finchley Road underground station. This was the beginning of a chain of shops which became Our Price Records in 1976. Ten years later it was bought by WH Smith for £43M, and then it was taken over by the Virgin group in 1998.

The White Horse 176 Church Road Willesden NW10 9NP (redeveloped c1999)
On 2 Oct 1957 the Krazy Kurzon Klub was opened here by Don Troy. The skiffle club closed in August 1958 due to a disagreement with the pub owners. That night the Fred Heath Band (he later became Johnny Kidd), played outside on the pavement using a power cable from a local shop. The police were called to break up the crowds. Trad jazz bands such as Humphrey Lyttelton and Chris Barber, played at the pub which continued to have music to around 1971.

Venture Records 994 Harrow Road NW10 5NT
David Tyrone (who used various names), set up Venture Records about 1974, in a shop here called Gangsterville Musical Arcade Record shop.

Vox Humana 35 Broadhurst Gardens NW6 3QT
Polish-born Herman Simberg, a popular tenor and opera teacher opened a recording studio called Vox Humana in 1948. Several studios have been here including: Broadsound Studios 1967 and 1969, Moreno Film Studios, 1979, and later Motivation Sound Studios. Ivan Berg Associates had moved there by 1981.

West Heath Studios 174 Mill Lane NW6 1TB
At the end of the 1980s the composer Robert Howes, built this studio in West Heath Mews on top of a row of garages, to record his TV music. West Heath Studios was taken over by Edwyn Collins in 1995. Edwin had hits such as ‘A Girl like You’ with the Glasgow band Orange Juice. After he and his wife Grace moved to Kilburn, Edwyn had a stroke in 2005 which left him paralysed. He has since made a remarkable recovery and started to perform again. His co-founder and recording engineer Seb Lewsley kept the studio going during Collins illness. Edwyn’s friend Bernard Butler who lived locally in Fawley Road, recorded Duffy’s ‘Rockferry’ album (2008) at West Heath. Early in 2015, Grammy award producer, Jimmy Hogath took over the lease and moved from the studio he had built in Kilburn Lane. Now called Hoxa HQ studios, Jimmy completely renovated the studio in Mill Lane. The work was finished in September 2015. Hogath has worked with artists such as, Amy Winehouse, Paolo Nutini, Duffy, Corinne Bailey Rae, KT Tunstall and James Bay.

WF Buddery, gramophone stores 169 Rucklidge Ave NW10
Shown here in 1929

William A Langley, music warehouse 13a Walm Lane NW2 5SJ
Shown here in 1921 and 1929.

William Henry Leadbetter, music warehouse. Golden Age record distributor 180 Willesden High Road NW10 2PB
Leadbetter is shown here in 1929. By 1977 it was Golden Age a distributor of reggae records.

Zomba Records 165-167 Willesden High Road NW10 2SG
The company was formed in 1971 by musicians Clive Calder and Ralph Simon in South Africa. They relocated to London in 1975 and named the business Zomba. Three years later they expanded to New York. Jive Records founded in 1981, is the flagship label of the Zomba Label Group, which also encompasses the labels Silvertone, Mojo, Verity, Volcano and Reunion, among others. Zomba is now a huge international company with some of the biggest contemporary pop, R&B, gospel, hip-hop and rock artists in the world, including Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, and ‘N Sync.